Saturday, March 3, 2018

Don't be Salty at the Homeless


This week, we discussed homelessness and poverty by reading "On Dumpster Diving". Eigner was very blunt by simply stating, "I live from the refuse of others". The topic of giving money to the homeless came up and it reminded me of something I witnessed in Pakistan. Every instance we were on the road, be it in the congested city or the traffic lights or even on the highways there would be a homeless person. They actually walk right up to your car window, knock until you roll it down, and plead for money. This might sound tedious and a little extra but I didn't even feel attacked by it. The poverty in Pakistan is really, really bad. Shockingly, the Edhi Foundation, Pakistan's largest charity doesn't have a specific means to address homelessness just because it's too big of a problem. And sadly, my relatives who live there have gotten used to it, hence numb to it. 

They'll will go out of their way to de-emphasize this problem, saying there's a "network of bosses" who employ their impoverished lackeys to take the innocent upper classes' money. When I was in a bazaar (open market) my cousin literally debated a little boy who was eagerly trying to sell her a color book. Don't get me wrong, I love my family, but sometimes they don't recognize the privilege they're born into. In reality, their theory might actually be plausible (https://tribune.com.pk/story/540841/begging-becomes-business-in-pakistan/) , but that doesn't mean people in this form of organized crime aren't in a bad situation. People will go out of their way to talk and cry about a problem, but won't do anything to solve it. The same thing is with homelessness; we don't think it's our job to fix it, but one day the problem could possibly reach us.

4 comments:

  1. This is similar to the situation when I visit India! I've experienced and heard the same things you've mentioned. Its sad how being homeless has become something normal and speculative.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the insight you gave on your post and I agree that we cannot let this problem stay a normality.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice post, Eliya. Even in the US people are skeptical of the homeless and often unwilling to help. Although it is not as big of a problem here, in some regions it has also become a normality.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really love how your voice shone through this bit of writing. Additionally, your argument was stronger as you related it to your own life and the state of a country while including sources. Great job!

    ReplyDelete

Good Old Days

When I was younger, I looked at the teen years with glorious envy. I couldn't wait to have six different classes! With six different te...