Thursday, September 14, 2017

Would You Rather: Nostalgia or Memory?


Looking through any social media, ranging from Twitter to Instagram to Facebook, you can't go without seeing a throwback post. Honestly, you probably can't even go without seeing any High School Musical reference. It seems as though society as a whole has an increasing tendency to reminisce about the good ol' days. It's a contagious trend; I myself recently took three hours out of my day to look through my old emails, reading threads between old friends and lost friends. In fact, every new school year, I longingly reflect on the preceding year, wishing I could still be there today. Even today, I'm reminiscing about last week and the people I laughed with and wondering what changed so drastically that we don't make eye contact this week. Clearly, nostalgia affects everyone at all times. After learning and extensively analyzing memorials in English, I noticed a common pattern: the memorials aren't nostalgic, just requiring "imaginative presence and physical absence" (Booth 4). They are just that- in memory. On the other hand, nostalgia is when one romanticizes the past.The difference between the two is clear: remembering requires no emotion or attachment, whereas nostalgia (at least for me) looks a little like this:

So here's the big question: would you rather be nostalgic or simply just remember? Cast your vote https://goo.gl/Zi2Jpm (and try not to choose both!)
For me, I think I'd go with just remembering. Holding events in a glorified light only leads to thinking "those were the best of times", and slowly the realization dawns that you'll never relive that, or possibly not even replace it. Maybe that's why memorials aren't nostalgic; imagining the good times one had with a fallen soldier only intensifies the grief that they'll never see them again. In a sense, that happiness of sentimentality is closely followed by the grief of loss. Likewise, reminiscing about a memory somewhere or with someone you don't see anymore, reaps similar grief. Why is the only way you're in contact with someone or you're visiting a location through that memory? What changed in the gray area between connect and disconnect? These thoughts don't occur with simple remembrance. However, the only salvation is that maybe you'll be able to top that memory with a better one. So instead of cry-smiling like Michael Scott, you can look like this.
Maybe society should strive to do that. Maybe I should strive to do that. Maybe, once I do, I'll change my vote to both.





*Poll results are here: https://goo.gl/tUL6yq

6 comments:

  1. I have never thought of nostalgia in the way that you describe it here. I find it interesting that instead of being a wistful and longing remembrance, you connect it more closely with grief and loss. While I see your point, I feel that nostalgia is more important to remember the good things you have had or experienced.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you, Eliya, because by definition, nostalgia is that longing/wistful feeling for the past. I think it would be better to be able to remember and smile, rather than remember and wish you were back in "the good ol' days." Besides, life moves forward so it't better not to get left behind..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reading this I found myself thinking back on times I've felt the same way, and I do agree that I'd rather just remember. There is no need to be stuck in the past; the future is brighter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the way you started off you blog with a more positive view on memory and then connect it to the memorial article. It is a very unique view on memory and the presenting of the images is very interactive. It feels as though I am having a conversation with the screen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your insight was very relatable and I really liked how deep your questions on disconnect were. I feel like memory can either lift a person or really break one down. Instead of being stuck in the past, I hope to be someone who finds good memories as a motivation to create more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your topic is really creative! I never really thought about this before, but I think you're right. It's good to remember and have those memories, but nostalgia can make you get stuck in the past. I like how you intertwined class readings and personal stories/opinion so smoothly, with a little humor and some GIFs to tie it all together.

    ReplyDelete

Good Old Days

When I was younger, I looked at the teen years with glorious envy. I couldn't wait to have six different classes! With six different te...