Sunday, January 28, 2018

Normal


Once, a relative from Pakistan called (yes on Whatsapp), and was making rounds on which one of my siblings she would talk to. The conversations always tend to be awkward, not only because of our broken Urdu but also the general lack of connection (we met for the first time 2 years ago). Most of the time we give our parents a look of plea something like this:


My turn passed with the classic "how are you", "I'm good", "how's school going", "when are you going to visit" lines. Next came my younger sister, and my relative said "Kaise ho Sara, Allah kare ke tum normal ho jao" . A rough translation to this would be "how are you Sara, we're praying you become normal". An audible silence was heard for two seconds until my relative continued talking, not even realizing what she just said.

While everyone (including myself) pretended that didn't happen, on the inside I was fuming. Sara has a mental disability, and even before we realized she was different, my older sister and I have always been fiercely protective over her. I was shocked at the sheer ignorance and the audacity my relative had to even say this. Quickly I was becoming bitter and classist, how does someone who lives in a freaking third world country get to decide who's normal and who isn't? Does she even know how disabilities work? 

After cooling down, I realized that although it is the 21st century and she has access to online information just like me, the biggest culprit in her ignorance is lack of awareness. As advertisers completely "deny the existence of" the disabled, so does the media, popular culture, and to an extent the school system (Mair 14). Society consider them "a separate 'problem'" even though everyone knows someone who's disabled. And in places like Pakistan where people call diabetes "sugar", it's not surprising they can suggest praying away a genetic disability.

To be honest, before petitioning advertisers and media agencies, one has the power to foster change within their own spheres of influence. I still regret not saying something; even though I'd be branded batameez (insolent), at least she'd gain a little more sensitivity and awareness. As they say, change begins at home.

2 comments:

  1. Eliya, I got mad just from reading about your relative! But you're right: you don't hate the player, you hate the game. Many parts of the world just aren't as aware about certain things like disability as we are. Nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eliya, your post was very insightful and very triggering. You bring up an important point: ignorance and lack of education account for many of the issues at hand today, especially when it comes to differences in others.

    ReplyDelete

Good Old Days

When I was younger, I looked at the teen years with glorious envy. I couldn't wait to have six different classes! With six different te...