Sunday, March 18, 2018

From Untied to United (States)


This year, I'm taking AP Economics and it's safe to say I find many of the concepts hard to grasp. I took it as a classic AP, and last year during scheduling season didn't even consider the possibility of it being a struggle; just like my other social studies APs, I'd study and get the right grades.
Boy, was I wrong!
Flash forward to today, and not only do I not find it interesting, but I go out of each test thinking I could either get a 94 or a 78. One thing I've heard is that those who struggle in AP Econ flourish in AP Pysch, and vice versa. To me, this makes a lot of sense. Economics, as exemplified by Thomas Sowell, is all about the "market (operating) so much more efficiently than... 'need'" (Sowell 500). On the other hand, psychology entails gaining an understanding of the human brain and the mental factors that effect human interaction. Economics completely ignores any wants, "needs", or "mushy thinking" whereas psychology literally studies it (500).

Anyways, in my opinion, economics is heartless. Free market thinkers scorn the concept of need by saying you only need a "car" if the "taxpayers" pay for it, and if it comes out of your pocket, you'd just get a "brake job". I truly don't think this is a breakthrough in disproving human need, but just shows our ability to settle. For example, suppose I had to buy lunch at school but only had $1. In one scenario, my friend offers to lend me $2 to buy the special, and in another scenario I just settled for a bag of chips. In scenario 2, I didn't need lunch any less, but had to make do with what I had. That's the situation of countless Americans around our country; they don't need a car, food, clothes, housing, any less when they settle for a bike, McDonald's, hand-me downs, and the streets. Many will think that it's not (in the scenarios) my friend's responsibility to lend me money, but in the United States of America, we should live up to that name and help each other out. There will be a time when a line needs to be drawn, but that's another discussion. As for now, Americans should help each other out and instead of being separate, distinct, and unemotional (untied), we should be communal, generous, and understanding (united).

10 comments:

  1. Eliya I love the clear example that you used to demonstrate your point! I agree that the two fields are total opposites and I also feel that we should essentially be more united, especially in these days. Great insight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you started this blog post by relating economics and needs to your life and that you ended the piece by relating the piece we read to the entire nation. From beginning to end, your voice also really shone through. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the development of your piece! Your anecdotes never fail to entertain and you bring up a really good point in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. I didn't see this before I posted my own comment; if I saw this earlier I would have just seconded Comrade Myhrer's comment and moved on. He says everything I believe, only much better than I could.

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  7. I think the more important difference between economics and psychology is that psychology studies the origins and causes of human thought and behavior, while economics studies how human thought and behavior, among other factors, influence markets and nations. I also think economics is not heartless, so much as it is cynical. Mr. Aldinger once said that a major assumption in economics is that everyone is rational and pursues their own interests. The America you envision may be possible between you and your friend, but within the big world out there, it's almost impossible for an individual to look out for everyone else's interest as well as her own. That's the unfortunate reason why the cynical (or as you say, heartless) perspective economists take is accurate most the time. Although I don't entirely share your perspective, I still agree with you that we really should do more to help each other out. Interesting post, Eliya!

    ReplyDelete

Good Old Days

When I was younger, I looked at the teen years with glorious envy. I couldn't wait to have six different classes! With six different te...